Prop Design, Casting & Manufacturing
Dinosaur Valley Studios offers expert casting and molding services for vertebrate and invertebrate fossil specimens, modern animal skeletons, as well as rocks, wood etc… Professional casting and molding allows for the public display of items that would otherwise be impossible due to weight, instability or rarity. Care is taken when doing casts of rare fossils to ensure the original specimen remains undamaged in any way. The process requires careful selection of materials, and engineering depending on how the finished cast will be displayed.
Products that may be used include:
- Plastipaste – A polyurethane fibre reinforced plastic
- Silicone Rubber – for creating molds that capture extremely fine details on fossil or modern reproductions
- Shell Shock – For extremely durable and detailed casting and mold reinforcement
- Smooth Cast – Pourable liquid plastic for the ultimate in casting durability and detail
- Foam-it – used as a light weight and durable “core” for reproductions.
- Other materials – wire, cable, aluminum tubing or steel reinforcing may also be used on larger projects that have unique requirements due to size or positioning of end product.